Adhearsion 3 is coming!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Adhearsion 3 is coming!

Ben Klang-2
Hello everyone,

It’s hard for me to believe - it’s been 3 whole years since Adhearsion 2.0 was released in April 2012. Immediately after it launched we saw a spike in interest, activity, and new applications. The Adhearsion core team worked hard to patch up bugs and add in some important missing features.  In the last 18 months though, Adhearsion core development has slowed down quite a bit, as much of the effort has moved to external plugins like IVRASRI18nVirginia, and ElectricSlide. We at Mojo Lingo have also been very busy using Adhearsion to build apps, and not needing to work on the internals, demonstrating the great utility of the framework.

But in 3 years we’ve learned a lot.  Some of the biggest lessons have come from the desire to make certain things easier.  Handling translations of an application, stringing together menus, even serving up grammar documents or an telephony API are things that took a little more effort than we liked in Adhearsion 2.  We’ve also found that our initial implementation of input handling functions (#input, #ask and #menu) had some limitations that we were not able to overcome without breaking backward compatibility.

Which leads us to Adhearsion 3.  Adhearsion 3 isn’t a revolution, but an evolution.  We’ve used this opportunity to do a few big things we’ve wanted to do for quite some time:

* Make Adhearsion be “batteries included by merging some of the most useful and necessary plugins into Adhearsion core: ASR, I18n, Virginia (and maybe IVR - stay tuned)
* Eliminate some of the confusion surrounding Adhearsion vs. Punchblock by unifying them and simplifying the event namespaces
* Better documentation for packaging and deploying Adhearsion apps
* Performance improvements through simplification and modernization

There will be a blog post going into more detail on this later today.  Even better: Alpha 1 will be released later this week.

And that’s where you come in.  We need help!  Specifically we’d love any contributions in the areas of 

* Testing - Thanks to Evan McGee/RingPlus for some early feedback so far
* Documentation - let us know what is not clear or missing, or even send a pull request

With your help, Adhearsion 3 is going to be great.

/BAK/
-- 
Ben Klang
Principal/Technology Strategist, Mojo Lingo
+1.404.475.4841

Mojo Lingo -- Voice applications that work like magic
Twitter: @MojoLingo

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Adhearsion" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

signature.asc (858 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adhearsion 3 is coming!

ik_5
Ben that's great news.

Something that I find missing a lot in ahn, is going a bit low level.
For example, if I require to talk with Freeswitch directly, for example reading a conference details, then I do not have such tools with ahn, and I find myself many times develop in Perl or Lua instead.
So for example, to have the ability to do lower when required (communicating with a "conneted" class that execute commands for example), will help a lot when the higher level does not meet the requirements.

Also I find it very hard to figure out how to get inside ahn and for example solve issues, or even add support for additional plugins, so simplified way of work and better documentations (with examples in code) are very just what can help :)

Ido


On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Ben Klang <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

It’s hard for me to believe - it’s been 3 whole years since Adhearsion 2.0 was released in April 2012. Immediately after it launched we saw a spike in interest, activity, and new applications. The Adhearsion core team worked hard to patch up bugs and add in some important missing features.  In the last 18 months though, Adhearsion core development has slowed down quite a bit, as much of the effort has moved to external plugins like IVRASRI18nVirginia, and ElectricSlide. We at Mojo Lingo have also been very busy using Adhearsion to build apps, and not needing to work on the internals, demonstrating the great utility of the framework.

But in 3 years we’ve learned a lot.  Some of the biggest lessons have come from the desire to make certain things easier.  Handling translations of an application, stringing together menus, even serving up grammar documents or an telephony API are things that took a little more effort than we liked in Adhearsion 2.  We’ve also found that our initial implementation of input handling functions (#input, #ask and #menu) had some limitations that we were not able to overcome without breaking backward compatibility.

Which leads us to Adhearsion 3.  Adhearsion 3 isn’t a revolution, but an evolution.  We’ve used this opportunity to do a few big things we’ve wanted to do for quite some time:

* Make Adhearsion be “batteries included by merging some of the most useful and necessary plugins into Adhearsion core: ASR, I18n, Virginia (and maybe IVR - stay tuned)
* Eliminate some of the confusion surrounding Adhearsion vs. Punchblock by unifying them and simplifying the event namespaces
* Better documentation for packaging and deploying Adhearsion apps
* Performance improvements through simplification and modernization

There will be a blog post going into more detail on this later today.  Even better: Alpha 1 will be released later this week.

And that’s where you come in.  We need help!  Specifically we’d love any contributions in the areas of 

* Testing - Thanks to Evan McGee/RingPlus for some early feedback so far
* Documentation - let us know what is not clear or missing, or even send a pull request

With your help, Adhearsion 3 is going to be great.

/BAK/
-- 
Ben Klang
Principal/Technology Strategist, Mojo Lingo
<a href="tel:%2B1.404.475.4841" value="+14044754841" target="_blank">+1.404.475.4841

Mojo Lingo -- Voice applications that work like magic
Twitter: @MojoLingo

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Adhearsion" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Adhearsion" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adhearsion 3 is coming!

Ben Klang-2

On Jun 23, 2015, at 10:28 AM, ik <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ben that's great news.

Something that I find missing a lot in ahn, is going a bit low level.
For example, if I require to talk with Freeswitch directly, for example reading a conference details, then I do not have such tools with ahn, and I find myself many times develop in Perl or Lua instead.
So for example, to have the ability to do lower when required (communicating with a "conneted" class that execute commands for example), will help a lot when the higher level does not meet the requirements.



Thanks Ido, that’s great feedback.

I’ve opened an issue on Github where we can track this specific request: https://github.com/adhearsion/adhearsion/issues/575

I think a great way to start that discussion would be to take a stab at how you think that API might look to an Adhearsion app.  What would the method name be? What args would you like to pass? If we can get more specific about what information needs to be made available, we can work see how such an integration may be done.


Also I find it very hard to figure out how to get inside ahn and for example solve issues, or even add support for additional plugins, so simplified way of work and better documentations (with examples in code) are very just what can help :)

To make sure I understand this request: are you asking for documentation on how to create plugins? We have a blog post that covered this a while back, and is still accurate even for Adhearsion 3:


Ido

/BAK/
-- 
Ben Klang
Principal/Technology Strategist, Mojo Lingo
+1.404.475.4841

Mojo Lingo -- Voice applications that work like magic
Twitter: @MojoLingo




On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Ben Klang <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

It’s hard for me to believe - it’s been 3 whole years since Adhearsion 2.0 was released in April 2012. Immediately after it launched we saw a spike in interest, activity, and new applications. The Adhearsion core team worked hard to patch up bugs and add in some important missing features.  In the last 18 months though, Adhearsion core development has slowed down quite a bit, as much of the effort has moved to external plugins like IVRASRI18nVirginia, and ElectricSlide. We at Mojo Lingo have also been very busy using Adhearsion to build apps, and not needing to work on the internals, demonstrating the great utility of the framework.

But in 3 years we’ve learned a lot.  Some of the biggest lessons have come from the desire to make certain things easier.  Handling translations of an application, stringing together menus, even serving up grammar documents or an telephony API are things that took a little more effort than we liked in Adhearsion 2.  We’ve also found that our initial implementation of input handling functions (#input, #ask and #menu) had some limitations that we were not able to overcome without breaking backward compatibility.

Which leads us to Adhearsion 3.  Adhearsion 3 isn’t a revolution, but an evolution.  We’ve used this opportunity to do a few big things we’ve wanted to do for quite some time:

* Make Adhearsion be “batteries included by merging some of the most useful and necessary plugins into Adhearsion core: ASR, I18n, Virginia (and maybe IVR - stay tuned)
* Eliminate some of the confusion surrounding Adhearsion vs. Punchblock by unifying them and simplifying the event namespaces
* Better documentation for packaging and deploying Adhearsion apps
* Performance improvements through simplification and modernization

There will be a blog post going into more detail on this later today.  Even better: Alpha 1 will be released later this week.

And that’s where you come in.  We need help!  Specifically we’d love any contributions in the areas of 

* Testing - Thanks to Evan McGee/RingPlus for some early feedback so far
* Documentation - let us know what is not clear or missing, or even send a pull request

With your help, Adhearsion 3 is going to be great.

/BAK/
-- 
Ben Klang
Principal/Technology Strategist, Mojo Lingo
<a href="tel:%2B1.404.475.4841" value="+14044754841" target="_blank" class="">+1.404.475.4841

Mojo Lingo -- Voice applications that work like magic
Twitter: @MojoLingo


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Adhearsion" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Adhearsion" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Adhearsion" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

signature.asc (858 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Adhearsion 3 is coming!

Ben Klang-2

On Jun 23, 2015, at 10:34 AM, Ben Klang <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jun 23, 2015, at 10:28 AM, ik <[hidden email]> wrote:

Also I find it very hard to figure out how to get inside ahn and for example solve issues, or even add support for additional plugins, so simplified way of work and better documentations (with examples in code) are very just what can help :)

To make sure I understand this request: are you asking for documentation on how to create plugins? We have a blog post that covered this a while back, and is still accurate even for Adhearsion 3:



I forgot to mention the plugin documentation on the website as well: http://www.adhearsion.com/docs/plugins

/BAK/

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Adhearsion" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

signature.asc (858 bytes) Download Attachment